[c-nsp] Change VRF RD

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Tue Sep 8 10:21:03 EDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-09-08 at 11:30 +0100, Phil Mayers wrote:
> When we deployed our MPLS core, we made the minor mistake of setting the
> RD the same on every router.
>
> On the platform we're using (6500/sup720, 12.2(33)SXI) you don't seem to
> be able to change the rd of a defined VRF; you have to "no rd" which
> promptly blows away the "router bgp / address family ipv4 vrf X" as well
> as the route-target statements; and it won't let you enter a new rd for
> ~60 seconds, claiming:
>
> % Deletion of "rd" in progress; wait for it to complete
>
> This is obviously hugely unhelpful for correcting the mistake.
>
> Does anyone know if this is possible either without an outage or with a
> very short one? Or are we stuck with taking the outage?

AFAIK there's no way around it. And AFAIK it's not Sup720 specific.

With redundant nodes you can of course remove one node from the equation
at a time and then change it, but with only one node there's no luck.

You could avoid the "deletion in progress" by giving the VRF both a new
name and a new RD; this doesn't remove the BGP convergence time though.

--
Peter