[c-nsp] Change VRF RD

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Sep 8 06:30:39 EDT 2009

All,

When we deployed our MPLS core, we made the minor mistake of setting the
RD the same on every router.

On the platform we're using (6500/sup720, 12.2(33)SXI) you don't seem to
be able to change the rd of a defined VRF; you have to "no rd" which
promptly blows away the "router bgp / address family ipv4 vrf X" as well
as the route-target statements; and it won't let you enter a new rd for
~60 seconds, claiming:

% Deletion of "rd" in progress; wait for it to complete

This is obviously hugely unhelpful for correcting the mistake.

Does anyone know if this is possible either without an outage or with a
very short one? Or are we stuck with taking the outage?