[c-nsp] Change VRF RD

Tony td_miles at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 8 19:05:34 EDT 2009

Hi,

--- On Tue, 8/9/09, Phil Mayers <p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk> wrote:

> When we deployed our MPLS core, we made the minor mistake
> of setting the RD the same on every router.

I'm curious, I thought setting the RD the same on each PE router (obviously per VPN) was the way to do things ?

Most of the stuff I've seen shows it done this way, eg.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk436/tk428/technologies_configuration_example09186a00800a6c11.shtml

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk436/tk428/technologies_configuration_example09186a008009445c.shtml

http://wiki.nil.com/wk/images/b/b1/MPLS_VPN_cheatsheet.pdf

When do/should you set the RD to be different ? I'm guessing it's going to be for larger installations and to allow more customisation or something ?

Happy to do some reading and educate myself if people can point me towards the correct material.

Thanks very much,
Tony.

(apologies for hijacking the thread)