[c-nsp] Catalyst vs. Nexus

Lincoln Dale ltd at cisco.com
Wed Sep 9 08:51:29 EDT 2009

hi Todd,
a few of the cisco folks that are subscribed to cisco-nsp focus on the
Nexus range & we're a pretty friendly bunch.
there's a few things below that aren't quite correct.  see inline
below...

On 09/09/2009, at 8:43 PM, Todd, Douglas M. wrote:

> A few other thoughts on the Nexus difference from a 6500 based on my
> experience
> since I am still learning the 7K platform:
>
> 1) MPLS the 7K is VRF Light syle

actually, at this point in time, MPLS is not available on N7K.  the
current shipping M1 forwarding engine based I/O modules are capable of
MPLS which will be enabled in a future release.

w.r.t. VRFs, everything on NX-OS is vrf aware. NX-OS is similar to IOS
CLI in look-and-feel but one fundamental difference is that there is
no 'global' routing table like there is in IOS.  everything is a vrf.

> 2) Application of an access-list by doing a tftp->run (with out
> removing the acl
> which is applied to the interface) is extremely taxing in the system
> and very
> slow. The Nexus seems to recompile the ACL after each line there are
> work
> arounds vs have the acl upload completely and recompile once.

ACLs as entered in a "config terminal" session are applied to hardware
the moment you hit enter on an individual line - yes.
the system is smart enough to do 'inline' ACL processing if you have
an ACL that makes appropriate use of sequence numbers in it.

if you're just wholesale uploading a replacement ACL in bulk, then
suggest you use "configure session" where you can ask the system to
'verify' the ACL will fit in CL-TCAM resources then 'apply' it.
using configure sessions would not 'tax' it or iteratively recompute
it on every new ACL line you enter.

see <http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/4_2/nx-os/system_management/configuration/guide/sm_7sessionmgr.html

ACLs are always committed in an atomic manner on N7K provided you have
CL-TCAM resources to do so.

> 3) Nexus STP is RSTP not pvst+

N7Ks STP is PVRST(+) or MST - same as what you would have on a
Catalyst platform.
the only thing that isn't there (intentionally) is the ability to
configure N7K as a legacy 802.1D STP - although as dictated by the
standards, N7K can talk legacy 802.1D to legacy bridges - but you
cannot intentionally configure it to behave in that legacy manner.

this is actually a good thing. :)

> 4) The TACACS implimentation of this platform seems incomplete.
> 	TACACS is useable, but local-admin accounts must be configured and
> used
> for configuration.

this isn't quite true.  RBAC (roles based access control) is applied
to all management access, whether you're managing via CLI, SNMP or
Netconf/XML.  this is a divergence from the historic IOS 'priv level
15' / "enable" type mechanisms but there is no reason why you cannot
assign a RBAC role from an AAA server whether that be via TACACS+ or
RADIUS.

by default, a priv-level of 15 from an AAA server maps a user to the
predefined RBAC role of network-admin or vdc-admin automatically.
alternatively you can have the AAA server provide the relevant AV-Pair
to provide the RBAC role(s) a given user is in.

the documentation chapter on AAA on cisco.com provides the details for
all of the above.
see <http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/4_2/nx-os/security/configuration/guide/Cisco_Nexus_7000_NX-OS_Security_Configuration_Guide__Release_4.2_chapter3.html#con_1235748

> 5) The layout of the configuration is different (as someone mentioned)
> 	Features must be enabled (ie., ospf,tacacs must be enabled by using
> 'feature ???') if ospf feature is not enabled, it can't be used
> until it's
> enabled (not configured).

yep - thats intentional.  services are 'conditional' on NX-OS.  until
you enable the 'feature' the process for that feature is not running,
consuming RAM or even part of the CLI parser chain.

> 	OSPF is configured mostly under the interface (passive-interface,
> process # vs globally)

there is the historic way of doing it too, if you wish to (e.g.
'network' statements globally) - but the general feedback has been
that interface-centric is more intuitive for many things.

> 6) QoS you specify the queueing structure (ie., 1P2q4T) and not the
> queueing or
> scheduling or thresholds.  Obviously there is the ability to tweak
> the QoS, but
> the base config viewing is much simpler

IOS is moving towards this level of QoS configuration too.  within
Cisco parlence this is referred to as MQC (Modular QoS CLI).

cheers,

lincoln.