[c-nsp] Catalyst vs. Nexus

Tim Stevenson tstevens at cisco.com
Wed Sep 9 14:19:08 EDT 2009

Hi Tim, please see inline below:

At 10:58 AM 9/9/2009, Tim Durack gushed:

> > actually, at this point in time, MPLS is not available on N7K.  the current
> > shipping M1 forwarding engine based I/O modules are capable of MPLS which
> > will be enabled in a future release.
> >

>Interesting. I guess the N7K might yet replace the C6K. If Cisco would ship
>an EARL8 based Sup for the 6500 running NX-OS, I'd be happy...

There is a longterm roadmap on 6k for an E8 based sup, but that would
be an IOS system.

>Question about the N7K: are VLANs global to the switch,

No, they are interface local.

>  like the C6K, or can
>they be configured to be local to a switchport? I'd like to know if L3
>switchports can have the same subinterfaces or not.

You can have an arbitrary # of subinterfaces terminating the same
vlan ID, along with an SVI & switchports with that same VLAN ID, and
route between them all.

Hope that helps,
Tim

Tim Stevenson, tstevens at cisco.com
Routing & Switching CCIE #5561
Technical Marketing Engineer, Cisco Nexus 7000
Cisco - http://www.cisco.com
IP Phone: 408-526-6759