[c-nsp] Weird Cat 6500 SUP2 problem

Terje Bless link at pobox.com
Fri Sep 11 02:32:20 EDT 2009

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 11:43 PM, Security Team <cisco at peakpeak.com> wrote:
> I am setting up a 6509 with SUP2's in RPR+ redundancy mode.  When I cycle
> power on both supplies, the top SUP2 comes up fine. But the bottom one is
> stuck in rommon
>
> If I type "b" to boot the second one it comes up fine.

If you pull the top Sup and powercycle, does the bottom Sup boot on
its own volition? Are you sure the two sups are identical hardware, or
could the bottom one have too little memory installed for the
(presumably common) IOS image? Does "sh bootvar" indicate any
differences between the two?

There's nothing about RPR+ that should cause the behaviour you
describe in normal operation.

HTH, -link