[c-nsp] Catalyst vs. Nexus

ML ml at kenweb.org
Fri Sep 11 08:04:27 EDT 2009

Nick Hilliard wrote:

> Cisco is a very large company and it appears to have a lot of empires.
> Multiple empires beget balkanisation and lead to the sort of software
> train splits that we see.  I can imagine that it must be very difficult
> to keep any sort of control on source code, when you have all sorts of
> groups with all sorts of different product lines, different requirements
> and different time-scales.

> Nick

Just to add another layer of IOS entropy..

I forget where I heard it but supposedly the same source code compiled
by different people results in a different binary because people at
Cisco maintain their own separate Makefiles with their own set of
compiler flags. The "Compiled by.." line is more useful than you might
think.

-ML