[c-nsp] 2801 as console server

Ronan Mullally ronan at iol.ie
Wed Sep 16 05:17:49 EDT 2009

Hi Wim,

On Wed, 16 Sep 2009, Holemans Wim wrote:

> -    Is there a way to access the async line from within the router
> itself ? So just a telnet/ssh to the router and then something like
> 'connect line XXX'  ? The connect command on the router seems an
> equivalent of telnet for outgoing tcp sessions and I don't see another
> command that could do this.

I've done this in the past by connecting to an IP address on the router -
the one assigned to the ethernet interface for example.  We use a 2511 as
a console server for last resort access to devices.  In the worst case
scenario if the ethernet interface is down we access it via the console
port.  If that's the case then the ethernet IP address won't be reachable.
I've assigned a loopback IP address (192.168.0.0/32 I think) and use that
instead ("router> telnet 192.168.0.0 2001")

Hope this helps.

-Ronan