[c-nsp] Comparison of T3 and T1 PAs?

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Mon Sep 21 12:55:28 EDT 2009

Does anyone know of a good article, table or chart that compares the
various T3 and T1 PA options?  I've found a variety of docs but nothing
of them giving a clear and concise list of differences between the PAs
(features, chassis support, NPE support, etc).

PA-T3
PA-T3+
PA-MC-T3
PA-MC-T3+
PA-MC-T3-EC

PA-8T
PA-MC-8DSX1
PA-MC-8T1
PA-MCX-8TE1-M

I found this doc on the T1s which helped a little but not much.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/interfaces_modules/port_adapters/install_upgrade/multichannel_serial/multichannel-dsi.pri_install_config/3525over.html

I've found all sorts of docs on the DS3s but again nothing terribly
concise or a clear-cut comparison between the different models.  For
example I know that the PA-MC-T3-EC can do MLPPP in hardware but not on
the PA-MC-T3+.

We bought the EC model for our T1 delivery service on 7200s (G2) but is
it really needed?  A fully-loaded 7200 with PA-MC-2T3-EC modules only
puts 12 DS3s in a chassis.  At full line-rate that's just shy of the
throughput limit on a G1 and still half that of our G2.  Now I'm sure if
all our DS1s were in MLPPP bundles that this would certainly add load to
the CPU but we're 25/75 CC DS1s and MLPPP bundles at this point.  I
could probably buy used PA-MC-T3 cards and do what I need if only I knew
what the feature differences were.

One thing I need to know is on which T1 PAs is MLPPP supported.  I need
to know if MPLS (core-facing) would be supported on a bundle of T1s.  I
need to know which DS3 modules support core-facing MPLS.  I have an
application that requires me to place a PE at a customer site to drop
Internet and private WAN service and connect to it via T1s.  I've
contemplated ISRs and MFT VWICs and HWICs.  I'm also looking at used
7200s which uses T1 PAs or a M13 and a used DS3 PA.  I can come up with
the 7200 solution far cheaper than the ISR and new MFT solution.
Unfortunately I'm not terribly familiar with older DS1/DS3 PAs or NPEs
or controller cards prior to the G1.

So, does anyone know of a good comparison between the assorted DS1/DS3 PAs?

Thanks
  Justin