[c-nsp] "Enhanced" download procedure

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Tue Sep 22 03:46:56 EDT 2009

On Tuesday 22 September 2009 02:53:29 pm Gert Doering wrote:

> Now I understand why our sales rep is changing at least
> once per year...

Oh yes - if your Sales rep. doesn't meet their quota (with
you), they will, very likely, be rotated at the end of the
fiscal year.

I've always been fascinated by this, as it's a very results-
oriented system (which, in all fairness, I suppose I can
appreciate), i.e., if they can't up-sell you, they may not
be doing their job.

However, they may be doing other things that you find
useful, e.g., co-ordinating your TAC case when all else
fails, getting you that RMA in record time, ensuring that
feature is incorporated into the code base even when the
DE's are reluctant, sending you off to their workshops and
conferences, engaging you as part of their R&D, including
you in that PoC for the newly released kit, e.t.c.

But I guess the bottom line is, if they haven't up-sold you,
they are out. What's worse is that you may not have a need
to make a new purchase in a single year, perhaps because
you've laced your entire network with CRS-1's, and it's
going to be years before you need to buy another unit, line
card, e.t.c.

Results-oriented - I think they may need to consider more
than that. Re-bonding is not easy... but that's just me.

Cheers,

Mark.