[c-nsp] 6500 - stateful failover, reason?

Brandon Ewing nicotine at warningg.com
Tue Sep 22 15:06:33 EDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 02:37:41PM -0400, Drew Weaver wrote:
> Is there any way to get more information about what caused a fail-over between two supervisors in a 6500?
>
> All I can appear to get is "Active crashed." from show redundancy switchover and my syslog doesn't have any information either.

If it actually crashed, you may want to investigate whether a crashinfo file
was left behind.

> Also, is it normal that during switchover you will lose protocols (OSPF) and that you will see messages like these in the log?

This is normal -- the new processor has to rebuild all routing protocols
when it comes online from RPR or RPR+ mode.  Even with SSO mode, if NSF is
not configured with all peers on all protocols, the sessions are broken down
and rebuilt.

> Sep 22 08:41:17.651 EDT: %C6KPWR-SP-4-PSOK: power supply 1 turned on.
> Sep 22 08:41:17.699 EDT: %C6KPWR-SP-4-PSOK: power supply 2 turned on.

This is normal, as part of the standby supervisor finishing initialization

> The log messages sort of confuse me because show version indicates:
>
> uptime is 10 weeks, 4 days, 1 hour, 35 minutes
>
> So it's been up 10 weeks but the power supplies were just turned on < 12 hours ago? I assume that is just random log-spew from the hot-supervisor taking over, though?

For more information about uptime for given processors, try
show redundancy -- it should give total chassis uptime, last switchover
time, number of switchovers, and time on active processor.

--
Brandon Ewing                                        (nicotine at warningg.com)