[c-nsp] modular code for the 6500

Matlock, Kenneth L MatlockK at exempla.org
Thu Sep 24 12:51:05 EDT 2009

We were running 12.2(18)SXF6 for the better part of 2 years now on
multiple Sup720-3B's. (About 80 separate chassis).

I'd stay away from the SXF train, as we've recently finally tracked down
a nasty memory leak problem, and are actually moving away from Modular,
and reverting back to standard IOS. The bug we're seeing (CSCsr12976) is
triggered by a 'show run' command, with it not releasing some of it's
memory. After time the Kernel process winds up spiking the CPU, causing
intermittent throughput issues, as well as EIGRP/HSRP flapping. The fix
is to swap to the redundant supervisor. We have other chassis running
the exact same code release, but non-modular, without any sorts of
issues.

Because of that, and the fact that from our side, we don't see any real
benefit of going modular over non-modular. We have never had to restart
a process, never had to patch a process (don't even remember any patches
ever coming out).

For us, it's not worth it so we're going back.

Ken Matlock
Network Analyst
Exempla Healthcare
(303) 467-4671