[c-nsp] Power Issue

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Sun Sep 27 23:19:59 EDT 2009

Mohammad Khalil wrote:
> We have Cisco device
> cisco ME-C6524GT-8S (R7000) processor (revision 1.3) with 458752K/65536K bytes of memory.
>
> now the issue is that we have in each site a device like the mentioned and a WiMAX RAS , all is functoning on DC power
> now the issue is that we are experiencing Traffic down (coz of RAS down) even that no interface on the switch went down nor something mentioned in the switch
> i want to know where can i resolve this issue
> can i monitor the power ?? i tried to use snmpwalk but didnt get any result , is that due to an IOS version ??

  which keeps the ME6524 If I understand your query correctly, your RAS
is going down and the ME6524 isn't getting a link down.  Is that
correct?  When you say that the RAS is going down are you saying that
it's powering down and that there should be a link down on all
interfaces connected to it, or are you saying that internally the RAS is
not passing traffic for whatever reason (config error for example) but
its Ethernet links are staying up which lets the ME6524 keep sending
traffic towards the RAS?  If the links aren't going operationally down
then the ME6524 really isn't to blame if it keeps on sending traffic out
those links.

Is the connection to the RAS a routed connection (interface) or a
switchport?  If the WiMax is used as a backhaul link between 2 sites and
the interfaces of the routers on each end are routed interfaces then you
could use BFD to ensure that L3 connectivity is up across the path.  If
it's a switchport on each end but otherwise has the same network
scenario (backhaul, not CE-facing) then you might be able to accomplish
something similar with UDLD.  You could probably get fancy with IP SLA
and some static routes to create some similar as well.  Be forewarned,
if you're still using the initial code release for the ME6524 (12.2(ZU))
and you implement BFD on a SVI then you will lose that working feature
when you upgrade to SXH.  You can search the list archives for numerous
posts regarding that change.

If I've completely misread your query and you are in fact asking about
DC power in the ME6524 and are trying to figure out how to query it via
SNMP to see if a power supply has failed, then I have no idea.  My
ME6524s are also DC-powered.  Do you have 2 separate DC buses connected
to each ME6524?  Is the RAS on one of the same buses?  Does it have dual
power supplies with dual buses connected to it as well?

Justin