[c-nsp] modular code for the 6500

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Mon Sep 28 05:58:15 EDT 2009

Hi,

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 05:39:43PM +0800, Mark Tinka wrote:
> On Friday 25 September 2009 11:05:43 am Tony Varriale wrote:
>
> > I'm not even recommending it until it gets much further
> > along and gets some serious field experience.
>
> Being that 'c-nsp' might be considered a fairly general
> representation of the "field", and it appears Modular IOS is
> not gaining many (new) friends here in the last several
> years, it would be interesting to see where this goes... :-)

Well, as far as I understand, SXI2 is about the first release that
is mature enough to really use modular.  Finally.

So we'll do a round of detailed testing "soonish", and then decide
what to put on our production routers.

What I saw in the last PSIRT advisories made me quite happy - they did
indeed release patches for modular IOS, so it's starting to live up to
the promises.

Now... modular 12.5 would be very nice.  With features coming first to
modular, and only later on to legacy monolithic IOS.  Or so.  And a
company that demonstrates that they stand behind this infrastructure
change (which is currently not very obvious...).

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de