[c-nsp] Pile on the 6509 noob

Scott McGrath mcgrath at fas.harvard.edu
Mon Sep 28 11:26:57 EDT 2009

Personally,

The 6509 was never optimal for WAN usage it's a excellent ethernet
router,   What we have
done is use a 7206 or similar router for WAN service and connected it to
the 65xx via ethernet
one this isolates your WAN circuits so in the event Zeus tosses a
thunderbolt your way you blow
up an inexpensive router (relatively) and the 65xx is protected due to
the only connection
being optical (assuming GE interfaces here).

Also the 72xx has many WAN specific features in IOS which are not in the
65xx's code train
or were not the last time I actively looked.

- Scott