[c-nsp] Mixing PFC3B and DFC3A with 10G linecards / 6500

Tom Ammon tom.ammon at utah.edu
Fri Apr 2 23:48:00 EDT 2010

Hi all,

I'm trying to put a 48-port 1G linecard in a C6500, and there's a
mismatch that I wonder if someone could explain to me.

The sup in the 6506 is a 720 PFC3B:

And the linecard I want to put in it uses a DFC3A. From the docs it
seems that this arrangement will work, but A) I have to reboot the box,
and B) PFC will fall back to operating as a PFC3A.

Also, I have two 10G line cards in this same box.

So my questions are:

What is the performance difference between the PFC3A and PFC3B?
Are there any gotchas with running the 10G linecards in this box in this
condition?

Thanks,

Tom

Tom Ammon