[c-nsp] BGP - Multihop across igp network

Paul Stewart paul at paulstewart.org
Tue Apr 6 10:44:08 EDT 2010

Hi folks.

I've run into a scenario and confused - this list is so helpful .. at the
risk of sounding like a dummy here I'm posting anyways LOL

We have two core BGP boxes (7600's).  Everything is fine with them.

Connected to these 7600's we have a pair of 6500's not doing BGP (however
participating in OSPF as all our boxes do)

Connected off one of the 6500's we have a 3825 at a customer site

The customer who is connected to a 3825 wants a full BGP feed from us.

So, I created a pair of ebgp-multihop sessions between the 3825 and our two
7600's - both tables populated and everything looked good.  Once the
customer brought up their session all the traffic seems to loop between our
networks.. Almost like a blackhole effect.  In our 7600's I can see the
customer routes advertising out and BGP itself looks correct when I do a
"show ip bgp xxxxx" towards one of their netblocks.

This tells me it's an igp problem where the devices in between which are not
BGP aware need to be.. Route reflectors maybe??  There's obviously a gap
between BGP and OSPF here that I'm missing and not thinking of logically.;)

Thanks,

Paul

<feeling kinda dumb today>