[c-nsp] DMVPN scalability question on the 28XX ISR's

Anton Kapela tkapela at gmail.com
Sun Apr 18 07:14:56 EDT 2010

On Apr 17, 2010, at 8:54 PM, Erik Witkop wrote:

> We are considering DMVPN for a WAN network with (92) Cisco 870 remote routers and (2) Cisco 2851 headend routers. My concern is around the scalability of the 92 connections to each 2851. Assuming we have AIM modules in each 2851 router, do you think that would be sized properly.

While you have a chance, it'd be wise to toss in as much DRAM as the 2851 can take. The reasons are many, but mostly you'll want plenty (i.e. 20+ megabytes) of free ram to "cover" your needs during transient conditions -- i.e. when all the ipsec endpoints flap, timeout, then re-establish, or perhaps when 400 ospf "spoke" neighbors timeout, flap, and re-stablish. If memory serves, advipservices 12.4t and 15.0 on 28xx leaves a bit less than 100 megs free after booting (on a 256m box); expect another 20 to 30m consumed when you have protocols + ipsec endpoints + full config up and active. Probably safe with 256, but it's not worth risking a surprise reload (that more dram could have prevented).

My overall experience using DMVPN (i.e. mGRE + ipsec tunnel protection) has been positive, and I find that usually boxes with AIM-VPN or SA's (on 7200's I've used the SA-VAM and its cousins) is the first 'wall' often hit -- i.e. max number of concurrent crypto sessions is reached *well before* the platform maximum IDB limit is reached. This means the first thing you should investigate is how many sessions your installed AIM can support -- it may be far less than you expected, and less than you require.

As for GRE and encaps processing on the 28xx, this seems to be nearly the same perf (without fragment processing considered) as native IP forwarding on the box. In practice, I see 80+ mbits usable (or 9 to 12 kpps) out of an 1841 doing GRE or IPIP encaps without crypto -- and 2851 will usually push 100mbit+ doing same. Again, the per-session crypto performance and max-session count will be determined by the AIM, so YMMV, etc.

Generally, the Cisco guidelines for DMVPN are sane, and my experiences don't (so far) run counter to them. One definite wall that I'd recommend you find before deployment is how many protocol neighbors you can have up (i.e. ospf, isis, or eigrp neighbors), flap, and re-establish in a timeframe you're happy with. That is to say, I highly recommend lab'ing up a config that emulates 100, 200, 300, etc OSPF neighbor sessions between the 28xx's -- you'll want to know for certain that your routers can both support/hold up the number of neighbors you need, *and* recover in a timely fashion after they flap. So, while your platform may be more than adequate for your given WAN-facing bandwidth needs to the spoke sites, you may actually find that your 2851 cpu is under-whelming when endpoints flap/register/converge -- depending, again, on the scale you're taking things to.

-Tk