[c-nsp] Multiprotocol BGP with Cisco

Rob Shakir rjs at eng.gxn.net
Mon Apr 19 06:06:21 EDT 2010

On 19 Apr 2010, at 10:33, Grzegorz Janoszka wrote:

> Can you do it for v6 peer? It is not possible to do it within the neighbor configuration, when I create a v4v6 neighbor group I get:
>
> Failed to commit one or more configuration items during an atomic operation
>
> !!% Change would result in neighbor (X:Y:W::Z) being activated with an invalid address family

I believe you cannot, due to the fact that there is no method by which an IPv4 route can have an IPv6 next-hop that I've seen in IOS, whereas the other way round it is possible due to IPv4-mapped IPv6 addresses [RFC4291].

I'm not sure on the practicality of implementing such a mechanism, as it would perhaps depend on how the FIB is implemented. I cannot, however, see a reason why it would not be possible to implement this, theoretically.

Kind regards,
Rob

--
Rob Shakir                      <rjs at eng.gxn.net>
Network Development Engineer    GX Networks/Vialtus Solutions

This email is subject to: http://www.vialtus.com/disclaimer.html