[c-nsp] Netflow on ISR G2

Brad Henshaw brad.henshaw at qcn.com.au
Mon Apr 19 19:33:39 EDT 2010

Tom Lanyon wrote:

> but can anyone provide experience on throughput to expect
> using a 38xx or 39xx for basic BGP to 2-3 full table peers
>  with the basic edge services (NetFlow, ACLs, uRPF) enabled,
> before its CPU hits the roof?

I can't comment on this specific scenario but in WAN applications I
generally observe 3-10% of the 'maximum' PPS rating (as per the router
performance guide) with "some features" enabled. "some features" might
be basic traffic classification plus shaping, or just class-based
firewall (both of which seem to perform at the upper end of that
performance range - closer to 10%) or DMVPN, MPLS and QoS (which is at
the lower end - 3-5%).

These general performance rates have been common across the 2801s, 2811s
and 2821s I've dealt with and have been the ceiling where CPU is on or
near 100% - I wouldn't generally want to see an operational router at
greater than say 60% under predicted PEAK loads. (allowing margin for
levels beyond what I as a mere mortal can predict, or enabling of other
features)

With this in mind, I'd expect a 3825's 350kpps max pps rating to become
10-35kpps in the real world. Calculate that out in bps for your
predicted average packet size.

YMMV significantly :-)

I too would be interested to hear what others have to say in this regard
to get a greater view for real world performance.

Regards,
Brad