[c-nsp] DMVPN scalability question on the 28XX ISR's

Luan Nguyen luan at netcraftsmen.net
Wed Apr 21 14:56:24 EDT 2010

I wouldn't say not recommended by Cisco though.  The DMVPN design guide is pretty old (2008) http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/WAN_and_MAN/DMVPN_3.html
I wish that Cisco would update that with ASR and ISR2 information and design guidance.  That's a very good document and the performance numbers are quite accurate.
When I first worked with DMVPN, most of the designs were dual hubs, dual cloud with EIGRP.  I was tempted with BGP as well, but mostly in a lab environment since operation folks didn't want to support it.
Today, I believe the drive is toward single cloud, with tier layered...etc.
I am using single cloud DMVPN design for a 3 hubs spoke-to-spoke TLS network with EIGRP and it has been working great.  Then again, the number of spokes is way < 2000.

-Luan