[c-nsp] USB to Serial Converter recommendation

Doug McIntyre merlyn at Geeks.ORG
Thu Apr 22 01:34:08 EDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 09:14:37AM -0400, Jon Lewis wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Apr 2010, Ziv Leyes wrote:
>
> > And by the way, no matter the brand, they all seem to use the same
> > Prolific PL2303 chip, no need to reinvent the wheel... Ziv
>
> I have seen and used others...but the last time I went looking for
> several, they all seemed to use the PL2303 chip...and these will send a
> break.  If you have one that doesn't, you can probably still use the baud
> rate trick to send something resembling a break.  Assuming you're talking
> to a cisco device at 9600bps, set the baud rate in your term program to
> 1200, hit space a few times, then change back to 9600.

The original PL2303 driver for OSX did NOT support sending break.
They updated it at some point years past the original release. The
opensource driver also supported break just fine.

Perhaps the OP's driver disk was including one of the really old versions?
(assuming his Trendnet device is really a PL2303 chip).
Its not like vendors take care of shipping the latest driver or anything.
Even 6-8 year old versions..

+1 on Keyspan as well.