[c-nsp] USB to Serial Converter recommendation

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Wed Apr 21 09:14:37 EDT 2010

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010, Ziv Leyes wrote:

> And by the way, no matter the brand, they all seem to use the same
> Prolific PL2303 chip, no need to reinvent the wheel... Ziv

I have seen and used others...but the last time I went looking for
several, they all seemed to use the PL2303 chip...and these will send a
break.  If you have one that doesn't, you can probably still use the baud
rate trick to send something resembling a break.  Assuming you're talking
to a cisco device at 9600bps, set the baud rate in your term program to
1200, hit space a few times, then change back to 9600.