[c-nsp] WLSM to WiSM

Andrew Gabriel andrew.gabriel at sanmina-sci.com
Fri Apr 23 05:08:55 EDT 2010

WLSM and WiSM are two completely different  architectures, and seamless
mobility between them, if at all possible would probably not be worth the
effort.

Are you going to be converting a lot of APs? I would suggest converting only
recent models like the 1131 or 1242 series and later, trade-in the rest and
buy new lightweight APs for them. If you have 1020 series APs get rid of
them now as they wont work with current versions of the Unified Wireless
software.

I would suggest a clean setup  and cutover with the new WiSM as much as
possible rather than attempting simultaneously have both up and running or
slowly migration.

You can install the WiSM module, connect, prime and test your new APs (you
can disable the radios from the controller interface if needed to prevent
interference with the legacy system). Once all the APs are ready and primed,
set up your WLANs, enable only a test AP's radio and test the WLANs. Once
everything is tested, you can quickly enable the new APs and WLANs and
remove the old.

WCS by my experience is overrated and not so easy to use, given the same
budget I would take Airwave any day.

Converting APs over from autonomous to lightweight is a pain, and also
causes downtime, so budget permitting I would suggest that you trade-in and
replace them as much as possible, especially if they are not n-capable. If a
lot of the new APs you are buying are n-capable, you might also want to
review the AP placement or do a fresh survey, as well as make sure the APs
are connected to gig ports and existing POE/power injector can meet the
power requirements.

Regards,
Andrew Gabriel.
Network Engineer,