[c-nsp] Experience on MPLS-TP (MPLS Transport profile)

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Sun Apr 25 08:10:48 EDT 2010

On Sunday 25 April 2010 07:32:48 pm Farhan Jaffer wrote:

> I am not sure how (and why) telco's ready to accept this
>  new technology sooner or later.

Well, the ability to operate without a typical control plane
means telco's don't need to support IP to implement MPLS-TP
(although I'd be hard-pressed to find any that don't or
don't plan to).

Talking to some industry colleagues during a previous
community meeting, they'd be eager to have MPLS-TP because
it removes the IP/MPLS bloat, allows them to maintain some
kind of TDM/SDH/SONET mechanisms (they're wary about the
"freedom of packet"), has reasonable plans for OAM, and most
of all, along with Ethernet, let's them scale the bandwidth
layer and make it more granular in ways established telco
transport technologies can't.

Cheers,

Mark.