[c-nsp] 10GBase-LX4 and OM2 fibre -- MCP?

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Wed Aug 4 14:03:49 EDT 2010

On Wed, 4 Aug 2010, Cisco NSP wrote:

> Thanks for all the responses.
>
> Unfortunately there is no single-mode fiber between the buildings. I'm much
> more familiar with 10GBase-SR and  10GBase-LR and I would have liked to use
> it instead. But we have to work with the current cabling.
>
> I've checked the orientation of the TX/RX both ways and both didn't work. I
> can try to clean the faces again, but the 1.9dB attenuation seems a good
> indication  to me that the fibre itself is ok.

Yes, it does sound like the plant fiber itself is ok, but a test with a
power meter only tells you about attenuation.  On long multimode runs,
dispersion can be a big issue.  Also, did you run that power meter test
through all of the same jumpers that you're trying to use in the actual
link, to rule out the possibility of a bad jumper?

Are you sure the X2s themselves are OK, and don't have dirty connectors?

> Mack, I'm not aware that the X2-LX4 interface was not supported on the 6500.
> Do you have an url confirming this? FWIW, the optic is placed in a
> VS-S720-10G-3C supervisor (port Te5/4).

I found the following link, but it's only for XENPAKs, not X2s.  I could
not find an X2-LX4 end of sale notice on Cisco's website.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps5455/eol_c51_599855.html

Also, regarding mode-conditioning patch cords, I've seen them for a lot
less than $800 USD (assuming the price you originally mentioned was in
USD).

jms