[c-nsp] Linecard performance w/ SUP32's

Tim Stevenson tstevens at cisco.com
Mon Aug 9 12:55:36 EDT 2010

Hi Graham, please see inline below:

At 09:17 AM 8/9/2010, Graham P. Wooden averred:

>Hi there,
>
>I am trying to decide if swapping a few x6348s to x6548
>(fabric-enabled/CEF256 .. no DFC) will be a huge performance gain
>with SUP32s (IOS is SXI).

Nope.

> >From what I am reading, it looks like they will somewhat - but
> appears that I will bump up against the 256 mark until the SUPs
> themselves get upgraded.

There is no "256" with sup32. It is a bus-based sup, no xbar fabric
whatsoever.

>Even if the line cards have the DFCs, can the SUP32-3B take advantage of them?

DFC + sup32 = not supported/possible.

Basically you're trading one bus-attached 48 port 1G card for
another. There are some benefits perhaps - qos capabilities,
possibility to u/g to sup720 in future & get fabric connections & add
DFCs for more performance - but for now, they are pretty equivalent.

Hope that helps,
Tim

Tim Stevenson, tstevens at cisco.com
Routing & Switching CCIE #5561
Distinguished Technical Marketing Engineer, Cisco Nexus 7000
Cisco - http://www.cisco.com
IP Phone: 408-526-6759