[c-nsp] internal DSCP

P.A razor at meganet.net
Thu Aug 12 11:41:46 EDT 2010

I have a questing about internal DSCP on a 6500 that I'm not really sure
about. I know that it's used to identify the priority of a  frame/packet as
it transits the switch but I have read on some sites that the internal DSCP
is copied to the frame/packet as it leaves the switch. On other sites that
when the packet arrives at the egress port the original ToS will be used. So
im confused to which is true, see below.

"Upon output, the internal DSCP settings are copied to the IP header. If the
outbound frame is being given a trunking header (ISL or 802.1Q) then the
appropriate CoS bits are also set."

"7.12 Egress ACL Support for Remarked DSCP

When a frame transits the switch, classification performed by the PFC can
change the ToS priority setting (IP Precedence or DSCP) in the packet. When
the packet arrives at the egress port however, the default action will
result in the original ToS priority (not the PFC remarked ToS priority) that
was present on the arriving packet to be used for classification purposes."