[c-nsp] Weird Routing Behaviour

Tomas Daniska Tomas.Daniska at soitron.com
Fri Aug 13 04:04:02 EDT 2010

It is my understanding that with some encapsulations, especially point-to-point, the router can reach its own IP only by sending the packet out the link and having it returned by the far end. I don't recall exactly if this applies to ppp or not, and this might be version-dependent as well.

> Now, if I do a "show ip route  ip address x.x.x.177", I get:
>
> Routing entry for x.x.x.128/25
>   Known via "static", distance 1, metric 0 (connected)
>   Redistributing via eigrp 12125
>   Advertised by eigrp 12125
>   Routing Descriptor Blocks:
>   * directly connected, via Null0
>       Route metric is 0, traffic share count is 1
>

> Why is the route showing as "directly connected, via Null0"  instead of
> "* directly connected, via Serial6/0/16:0"  ? Again if the circuit is a
> bonded multi-link t1, the route shows up correctly as "* directly
> connected, via Multilink10"
>

> Am I missing something? Someone help please!

Are you sure your Serial6/0/16:0 is up? Seems you have configured a summary route using static to Null0, and you maybe didn't notice the /30 serial is up, lineprotocol down, thus not installing the connected subnet? The other end could advertise its IP (.178) somehow via IGP, maybe as /32, and that might be why you can ping it (it's reachable via other path), but not your own IP (interface is down).

--

deejay