[c-nsp] Nexus 5k - retrieve forwarding table using SNMP

j.vaningenschenau at utwente.nl j.vaningenschenau at utwente.nl
Fri Aug 13 05:58:23 EDT 2010

Hi,

Yesterday someone asked me how to retrieve the L2 forwarding tables
using SNMP on a Nexus 5k. I thought it'd support one of the regular
bridging MIBs, perhaps with community/vlan based indexing. However none
of the methods I know of succeeded.

Does anyone know whether Nexus 5k supports this? I'm mainly interested
in dynamic L2 learns on switch ports for host tracking. The tested
device runs NX-OS 4.2(1)N1, so that's quite recent. If it can give out
forwarding table info over SNMP, what OID should we use? And if it
can't: why not and when will it be implemented? :)

Regards,

Jeroen van Ingen
ICT Service Centre
University of Twente, P.O.Box 217, 7500 AE Enschede, The Netherlands