[c-nsp] Why hard-setting speed and duplex on Fast Ethernet is bad

Keegan Holley keegan.holley at sungard.com
Fri Aug 20 10:28:00 EDT 2010

I disagree completely.  I have run into the behavior you mentioned and gone
back to auto, however I've had more problems with auto than with statically
setting duplex.  Devices rebooting and somehow coming to the wrong
conclusion about speed and duplex (followed by the 4 hour witch hunt).
 Devices simply not able to come to an agreement, etc... More often than not
I've seen devices just work when hard coded, sometimes there is a third
setting in the server to disable negotiation.  Also, if one device is
negotiating and the other does not the first devices can look at the speed
at which the frames are coming in and set it's speed accordingly.  To each
his own though...