[c-nsp] Why hard-setting speed and duplex on Fast Ethernet is bad

John Neiberger jneiberger at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 10:35:56 EDT 2010

As I mentioned, if you are connecting two "behavior #1" devices
together or connection two "behavior #2" devices together, manually
setting speed and duplex will work. If it worked for you, now you know
why it worked. If you try to connect a "#1" to a "#2", you will get a
duplex mismatch.

There are times when you need to manually configure these settings,
but it helps to know why things are working the way they are. It took
me a long time to figure this out. I eventually got the answer by
talking to a guy who writes NIC drivers.