[c-nsp] Why hard-setting speed and duplex on Fast Ethernet is bad

Andrew Miehs andrew at 2sheds.de
Fri Aug 20 10:44:51 EDT 2010

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 4:28 PM, Keegan Holley <keegan.holley at sungard.com>wrote:

> I disagree completely.  I have run into the behavior you mentioned and gone
> back to auto, however I've had more problems with auto than with statically
> setting duplex.  Devices rebooting and somehow coming to the wrong
> conclusion about speed and duplex (followed by the 4 hour witch hunt).

I guess the differing opionions have to do with age and brand of hardware.

I found Auto the best running HP Procurve switches with and Supermicro and
HP Proliant DL360 G5 servers (nothing older than 2004). I had no end of
problems with old PA Risc machines (10 year old) - but this may have had
more to do with the admins on these boxes.

If I was still using the old ?Cisco 2900s? from 1998, then I would
definitely look at forcing duplex and speed.

Maybe a 'hall of shame' would need to be set up? :)

Cheers

Andrew