[c-nsp] Why hard-setting speed and duplex on Fast Ethernet is bad

Seth Mattinen sethm at rollernet.us
Fri Aug 20 12:36:26 EDT 2010

On 8/20/10 7:44 AM, Andrew Miehs wrote:

> I guess the differing opionions have to do with age and brand of hardware.
>
> I found Auto the best running HP Procurve switches with and Supermicro and
> HP Proliant DL360 G5 servers (nothing older than 2004). I had no end of
> problems with old PA Risc machines (10 year old) - but this may have had
> more to do with the admins on these boxes.
>
> If I was still using the old ?Cisco 2900s? from 1998, then I would
> definitely look at forcing duplex and speed.

I wouldn't. I have a 2924XL-EN in service as a workstation switch; all
ports auto. It's seen all kinds of printers, homebrew x86, HP, Dell,
Apple, one SPARCstation, and other hardware I've forgotten about. The
one time I remember having to force a port (10/full) was with a CRT iMac
that generated excessive CRC errors at 100 half or full.

~Seth