[c-nsp] Hiding MPLS L3VPN hops from the CE

Peter Hicks peter.hicks at poggs.co.uk
Sun Aug 22 07:31:27 EDT 2010

On Sat, 2010-08-21 at 20:19 -0400, Jason Lixfeld wrote:

> Suppose a CE is connected to an MPLS network that has 6 hops between
> the PE this said CE connects to and the edge of the MPLS network.  If
> a user traces from behind the CE through the MPLS network, is it
> possible to hide all the hops in between?

So we're talking about a CE to its local PE, rather than another PE
accessed through the MPLS cloud?

If you want to hide the IP address of each hop, you could disable ICMP
'TTL expired in transit' messages, but you'd get asterisks on
traceroutes.

If you want to hide the presence of the hops, you could look at a GRE
tunnel - with its associated MTU reduction issues - or maybe an L2TPv3
pseudowire.

Just out of interest - is this for marketing reasons, or technical?

Peter