[c-nsp] Cogent IOS upgrade == BGP-3, "update malformed"

Drew Weaver drew.weaver at thenap.com
Mon Aug 23 14:56:43 EDT 2010

I think that there is some merit to the "dont-capability-negotiate" command,
but I'm afraid that is going to take out all normal capabilities, like route
refresh & soft in/out, etc; this also appears to be semi-undocumented by
Cisco, which makes that a little dicey to me.

That said, our resolution was to get Cogent to downgrade so that we can keep
buying their service. They are already chomping at the bit to re-upgrade
though ...
It should probably be said that Cogent has thousands of customers and I am pretty sure they rolled these updates out across multiple major POPs (to our market included, without any negative impact) and it seems somewhat unlikely to be a Cogent problem.

So it seems a bit unreasonable for you to ask them to roll back their updates and re-run a maintenance window because you're having an issue with your router.

Just my $0.02

thanks,
-Drew