[c-nsp] Cogent IOS upgrade == BGP-3, "update malformed"

randal k cisconsp at data102.com
Mon Aug 23 17:20:14 EDT 2010

You know, I thought the same thing - because we're a small joint, we always
point the finger at ourselves first. We always, double, triple check
everything before we pick up the phone.

But I also figure that such a gigantic organization -- or the guy typing in
reload and looking at the results -- would see our BGP session flapping
literally every 9 seconds, and see the tremendous drop in traffic on a graph
somewhere. I figured that they would listen when I said that it was a
maintenance gone awry, rather than blow us off and refuse to acknowledge
that maintenance happened. I also figured that it would take them less than
eight hours to get an actual engineer on the line after multiple
escalations, especially in a completely down situation. And an "issue with
our router" that has successfully peered with Cogent for many, many months
with no problems.

That said, bigger definitely does not mean better.
Randal