[c-nsp] VWIC2-1MFT-G703

Lauri Turunen smooth at iki.fi
Tue Aug 24 10:17:16 EDT 2010

On 24.8.2010 16:39, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are deploying a bunch of E1s across Asia and EMEA, and were told by
> our provider that for the sites that are G.703 they would recommend
> the VWIC2-1MFT-G703 card rather than the regular channelized E1 cards.
>
> Most of the E1 links G.703 connectivity I have seen typically work
> fine with the VWIC2-2MFT-T1/E1 type card.
>
> So would the VWIC2-2MFT-T1/E1 work for any E1 link, or do we really
> need to buy the VWIC2-1MFT-G703 card that is more expensive and
> difficult to source?
>
> Thanks,
> -Andrew.

Hello,

VWIC2-(1|2)MFT-G703 is more expensive probably because it provides both
G.703 (unstructured) and G.704 (unstructurized) services. E1 means G.704
which steals one timeslot 0 for synchronization purposes providing 64kb
less capacity than an unstructured G.703 (2,048kbps and 1,984kbps
respectively). And of course with E1 you can provide 64kb timeslots &
voice services

So VWIC2-2MFT-T1/E1 is only capable of structured service. It depends on
your provider what they are willing to provide. If they provide G.704,
it doesen't matter which card you have. The cheaper, the better, aye?

Btw, if you are going to have two E1s one one card, remember to take
into account the clocking independence from different lines. If
secondary port syncs to the primary port and the lines happen to have
different clocking, the second line will experience slips. Thats one
nasty thing to forget to take into account :-)

Regards,
/Lauri