[c-nsp] 3750 stack

Matt Zagrabelny mzagrabe at d.umn.edu
Tue Aug 24 16:50:09 EDT 2010

2010/8/24 Alan Buxey <A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk>:
> Hi,
>
>> We have a number of 3750 stacks with anything from 2 to 8 switches.
>>
>> Our standard when configuring new stack:
>> First switch numbered 9, second switch numbered 8
>> Switch # 9 given priority 15 (highest)
>>
>> Advantage?
>> We are able to add new switches 7 -6- 5 -> without any downtime and does add switches during daytime with no impact to customers
>
> I'm intrigued by the first switch being numbered 9 - why not just numbered
> 1 and go up incrementally?  obviously 'priority 15' is important... just wondering
> what wierd little thing I missed...

You don't need to provision the switch before adding it to the stack,
it will come up as switch 1 and then you can configure it as being
part of the stack. FWIW, we start at switch number 1 and priority 15
and increment and decrement, respectively, from there (and do offline
provisioning before adding to the stack.)

-matt zagrabelny