[c-nsp] 3750 stack

Alexander Clouter alex at digriz.org.uk
Tue Aug 24 18:54:12 EDT 2010

Bøvre Jon Harald <Jon.Harald.Bovre at hafslund.no> wrote:

> We have a number of 3750 stacks with anything from 2 to 8 switches.
>
> Our standard when configuring new stack:
> First switch numbered 9, second switch numbered 8
> Switch # 9 given priority 15 (highest)

Interesting, Cisco told us it is generally a bad idea going much above
five switch stacks.  Something to do with the fact that at the rear of
the switch you have a token ring-esque system and 40Gbps of backplane
(off the top of my head).  In the early code they only had a single
token flying around the switches which caused horrible latency woes I
would imagine, but things improved when they had multiple tokens
rotating through the loop.

Either way, I also thought when an 'interesting' decision had to be made
traffic had to be punted upto the master switch and back down.
Obviously the longer the chain the worse *everything* gets.

However I doubt our users would actually notice.  Any reason you do not
split your stack in half?  Only curious.

Cheers

--
Alexander Clouter
.sigmonster says: BOFH excuse #330: