[c-nsp] 0/0 into an ipv4 vrf

Jason Lixfeld jason at lixfeld.ca
Thu Aug 26 07:48:31 EDT 2010

On 2010-08-26, at 6:00 AM, Roger Wiklund wrote:

> if you want to unconditionally advertise a default route use the
> "neighbor a.b.c.d default-originate" With this command you don't need
> to have a default route present in the routing table. The drawback is
> however if your default route fails, you will still advertise one,
> potentially causing a black hole.

Unconditionally advertising the default would be my preference.  I'm not really concerned if I lose it, because in this VRF there would be two defaults, one from two different P/PE routers.

As I eluded to in the OP, I wasn't able to get neigh a.b.c.d default-originate working from within the ipv4 vrf TEST AF because I'm not specifically neighboring up with anyone else in the VRF.  I tried this in address-family ipv4, but the problem that I had was redistributing from ipv4 into ipv4 vrf TEST isn't allowed.

I tried this, but didn't get anywhere either:  http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2s/feature/guide/fs_bgivt.html

> On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 8:18 AM, Phil Mayers <p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk> wrote:
>>
>> router bgp xxx
>>  address-family ipv4 vrf TEST
>>  default-information originate
>>  redis static
>> ip route vrf TEST 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 ...

Ok, based on this, there was a bunch of glue missing when I tried this the first time.  This clears things up though.  That said, I'd still prefer the unconditional advertising over this method.