[c-nsp] Cat6500 modular IOS - direction?

Asbjorn Hojmark - Lists lists at hojmark.org
Fri Aug 27 17:59:53 EDT 2010

On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 22:50:21 +0200, you wrote:

> If I were a competitor, my worst nightmare might be "Cisco gets their
> operating system act together, and delivers a stable, modular, cross-
> platform OS *for all their existing product lines*".

CRS-3 and Cisco 500 routers, Nexus 7000 and SFE 1000P switches, and a
UCS-B blade system all running the same code. No thank you, I do not
want to be waiting for a new feature release with PIC Edge, which is
delayed because of a bug in the UPnP or USB printer code.

You'll quickly see that Cisco's vast range of products can be and has
to be grouped in several 'similar products that need the same category
of features' (and hence OS's)... and it looks to me that's actually
exactly what Cisco is working on.

 Core  : IOS XR
 Edge  : IOS XE
 Access: IOS (classic)
 DC    : NX-OS
 (And others, because e.g. a Flip camera does not need routing)

Of cause when you *do* start grouping products, some people will want
hardware A with software Z, but it might be running X. Tough luck.

-A