[c-nsp] Cat6500 modular IOS - direction?

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Fri Aug 27 16:50:21 EDT 2010

Hi,

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 08:26:35PM +0200, ?ukasz Bromirski wrote:
> On 2010-08-27 20:20, Tim Durack wrote:
>
> >Despite claims to the opposite, I don't think Cisco are committing
> >much engineering resources to the C6K at this point in its life.
>
> On the contrary. You'll see a lot of new things soon and the 6500
> stays a flagship for Enterprise deployments and services for the DC.

Mmmh.  They haven't done a BU split in a long time.  Cisco's track
record suggests that that's what they like to do to their "flagship" -
wreck it due to politics, weird IOS support, and broken promises...

Regarding weird IOS support, I think a 15.0<somefunnyletters> for
6500-only is due...

> Competitors are just trying to make you belive *their* worst nightmare
> is going away.

If I were a competitor, my worst nightmare might be "Cisco gets their
operating system act together, and delivers a stable, modular, cross-
platform OS *for all their existing product lines*".

(Or a fixed-config switch with a useful amount of buffers).

But I see their competitors sleeping fairly well.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de