[c-nsp] Cat6500 modular IOS - direction?

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Sat Aug 28 12:50:20 EDT 2010

HI,

On Sat, Aug 28, 2010 at 06:37:42PM +0200, ?ukasz Bromirski wrote:
> On 2010-08-28 17:41, andrea montefusco wrote:
>
> >To me the true story is another one: cisco is not able to do a real
> >modular IOS (not counting the VM system in N as modular)
>
> You're of course wrong. IOS-XR is example of 'real modular IOS'.
> ION for 6500 was executed quite succesfully, the problem is there's

The problem with ION is that there is no really useful modularity in
there yet... it's a successful base operating system, the "big IOS
process", and the CDP daemon.  The interesting bit "split the big IOS
process into individual processes for each 'IOS process' functionality"
was never done.

*Useful* modularity would have been "oh, security bug in BGP?  patch
bgpd, restart bgpd, go ahead".  This is what we have been waiting for.

The idea was good, the start was good, then there was no real progress
for 10 years, complete lack of adoption and support from the other
BUs, and I'm fairly sure it's dead now.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de