[c-nsp] Recommendation request for gateway router specs

Nick Voth nvoth at estreet.com
Mon Aug 30 15:30:04 EDT 2010

Hello folks,

I need to spec out a new gateway router that will support the following:

Gig E connections (fiber and copper) to 2 separate upstream networks
1 or 2 Gig E connections back to our LAN
eBGP, (probably a full BGP table for multi-homing capability)

I know the BGP takes a lot of memory, but I'm new to having to manage a full
BGP routing table.

Beyond that, our needs for this piece of hardware are pretty simple. It
doesn't need a lot of expansion capability, but does need to be hearty
enough to handle the GigE, BGP, limted QoS and ACL configs.

I'm most familiar with the 7206 VXR series, but that seems like over kill
for this solution. Anyone have any general recommendations or guidance you'd
be willing to share?

Thanks,

-Nick Voth