[c-nsp] Recommendation request for gateway router specs

Andrew Miehs andrew at 2sheds.de
Tue Aug 31 05:22:42 EDT 2010

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 9:01 AM, Ziv Leyes <zivl at gilat.net> wrote:

> The 7200 VXR may be a good choice, lower price than ASR and still deliver
> what you need.
> In case you don't really need all the expansions options perhaps a 7206 is
> too "big" for you in matters of rack space and you can go for a 7204 or even
> a 7201, same machine, less space.
> If I remember right, you can get one of those with 3 Gb interfaces on
> NPE-G1 or NPE-G2 which can be either copper or optic.
> For full routing table, even if less may be enough, I recommend you to put
> 1 GB RAM on it.

The original post sounded more as if it were a price issue, rather than a
physical size issue. A 39xx may even be adequate depending on the type of
traffic.
Is a full bgp feed is really required with just 2 upstreams, and one router?
As the connections seem to be all Gigabit ethernet based, a PC running Zebra
may be another alternative. Normally, with 2 BGP feeds, I would run a
minimum of two routers. Watch out for network splits though!

Cheers

Andrew