[c-nsp] Recommendation request for gateway router specs

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Tue Aug 31 05:59:02 EDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-08-31 at 11:22 +0200, Andrew Miehs wrote:
> The original post sounded more as if it were a price issue, rather
> than a physical size issue. A 39xx may even be adequate depending on
> the type of traffic.
>
> Is a full bgp feed is really required with just 2 upstreams, and one
> router? As the connections seem to be all Gigabit ethernet based, a PC
> running Zebra may be another alternative. Normally, with 2 BGP feeds,
> I would run a minimum of two routers. Watch out for network splits
> though!

Good point about the full feed. If you don't need a full feed, a C3560G
running an IP Services image can give you wire speed forwarding[0] at a
relatively low price point. It can only handle ~10k routes though. And
the processor is weak, so you would want the upstream to filter what
they send instead of filtering all by yourself.

--
Peter

[0]: The usual "caveat emptor" regarding buffers on the 3560.