[c-nsp] Is the 6704 really as terrible as everyone says?

Drew Weaver drew.weaver at thenap.com
Thu Dec 2 10:41:29 EST 2010

I've read several posts on here that lead me to believe that the WS-6704-10G is essentially the worst linecard ever produced.

The problem is, I only need 2 ports of 10G and just to replace 2x1Gbps uplinks that almost never get anywhere near their line rate capacity.

If they are really, really, awful. I will probably just end up getting a 6708 for this particular switch, but I would rather not considering the huge price difference.

Currently I am using the 1G ports off of the Sup720 as the uplink, and I hear those have awful buffers as well.

So when upgrading from the ports on the Sup720 to a 6704, is that still a bad move?

thanks,
-Drew