[c-nsp] Freeing up an internal use VLAN on a 6509/Sup2/12.1(E) Native mode box

Jason Lixfeld jason at lixfeld.ca
Thu Dec 2 17:38:08 EST 2010

I have a 6509/Sup2/12.1(13)E1 box that allocated VLAN1025 for internal use:

router#show vlan internal usage | i 1025
1025 FastEthernet5/13

My transport provider is delivering a TLS service to me on VLAN1025, so needless to say, I can't create a VLAN1025 SVI to terminate this connection.  Getting the transport provider change the VLAN is going to be very problematic so I need to know how to free up this VLAN on my side.  Changing the internal allocation policy from ascending to descending following by a reboot will, I'm hoping, cause the box to come back up and allocate a VLAN to F5/13 from the high end of the range instead of the low end of the range but I have no way to test this.

Anyone know if this will do the trick or is there something else that has to be done as well or can be done instead to free up this VLAN.

Thanks in advance.