[c-nsp] Freeing up an internal use VLAN on a 6509/Sup2/12.1(E) Native mode box

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Dec 2 17:47:03 EST 2010

On 12/02/2010 10:38 PM, Jason Lixfeld wrote:

> my side.  Changing the internal allocation policy from ascending to
> descending following by a reboot will, I'm hoping, cause the box to
> come back up and allocate a VLAN to F5/13 from the high end of the
> range instead of the low end of the range but I have no way to test
> this.

Yes, it works as expected:

sm-core#sh start | inc allocation
vlan internal allocation policy descending

sm-core#sh vlan internal  usage

VLAN Usage
4091 online diag vlan3
4092 online diag vlan2
4093 online diag vlan1
4094 online diag vlan0

Inability to be a bit more specific than "ascending" (from 1000) and
"descending" (from 4094) is an irritation with these boxes; it would be
more helpful and I'm sure not that hard to allow specification of a range:

vlan internal allocation range 3000-3199,3350-3399

...and would allow sites to tune to their local allocation policies easier.